Audio-Technica AT2020 and Blue Yeti are both very popular among people working in the audio field, and they both stand at, more or less, the same price platform. Because of that, many people often get confused in choosing between these two microphones. But, honestly, though they are kind of similar in a few glances, they are very different. Each of them holds some distinctive key features that make one would excel over the other only under some circumstances. Thus, choosing the one that will suit your needs the most is the wisest way to go.
Audio-Technica AT2020 is said to be the price/performance standard for microphone products. It possesses a cardioid polar pattern, thus, making it good in attenuating noise from its sides and rear and focus only on sounds coming from the front. It is remarkably good at various frequencies, thanks to the custom-engineered low-mass diaphragm that provides widened frequency response and improved transient response. Generally, Audio-Technica AT2020 is excellent for picking up vocals, capturing mids and highs in superior quality, and this is furtherly emphasized by the polar pattern and its high SPL handling. Have a look : MXL V67G Vs AT2020.
For the ultimate versatility, you would want to opt for Blue Yeti. It comes with neat plug and play feature; you simply connect its USB to a Mac OS X platform or a Windows platform. Furthermore, Blue Yeti comes with several polar pattern options: stereo, cardioid, bidirectional, and omnidirectional. It has a gain control, a mute button, and most notably a zero-latency headphone output. A lot of people would spend so much for zero-latency monitoring, and Blue Yeti simply allows that.
Audio-Technica AT2020 Vs Blue Yeti
|Audio-Technica AT2020||Blue Yeti|
|Key features||- The price/performance standard in side-address studio condenser microphone technology
- Ideal for project/home-studio applications
- High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility
- Custom-engineered low-mass diaphragm provides extended frequency response and superior transient response
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source||- Tri-capsule array - 3 condenser capsules can record almost any situation
- Multiple pattern selection - cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional & stereo
- Gain control, mute button, zero-latency headphone output. Requires a minimum of 64 MB of RAM
- Perfect for vocals, musical instruments, podcasting, voiceovers, interviews, field recordings, conference calls
- Plug 'n play - Mac OS X (10.4.11 or higher) and PC (Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP). Bit Rate: 16bit|
|Customer ratings*||4.4 out of 5.0 stars||4.5 out of 5.0 stars|
|Best deal*||Save 49% Please click here||Save 27% Please click here|
NOTE : Product prices, availability, ratings and save money information are accurate as of the date/time indicated on post time (as seen right bellow the tittle) and are subject to change. Any price, ratings, availability and save money information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
If you specifically need your mic for recording purposes in a controlled environment, e.g. in a studio or in an acoustically treated room, you should choose Audio-Technica AT2020 for its superior recording characteristics. However, if you want a universal weapon, or you will use the mic for direct monitoring, Blue Yeti should be the way.