With Audio-Technica ATH-M50 coming out as a newer model of Audio-Technica ATH-M50, people start to ask if they should buy Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, and if they should upgrade their existing Audio-Technica ATH-M50 to Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. As some background, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 itself is already a very popular choice for professionals. Well engineered by Audio-Technica, it has got to the point where people would recommend it for almost any kind of audio needs. However, the manufacturer didn’t actually intend to make Audio-Technica ATH-M50 as an all-purpose pair of headphones. Thus, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is made. (Read also : Audio Technica ATH M50X Vs Beats Studio)
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X retains most of the architecture and specifications of Audio-Technica ATH-M50. So, worries aside, they both sound equally awesome and brilliant. They work for the most accurate and full audio reproduction, with very notable bass performance. Nonetheless, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is mostly Audio-Technica ATH-M50 with upgraded headband, ear pads, and cables. The headband is now slightly more spacious and comfy, and the ear pads are softer and gentler than before. Thus, in terms of comfortability, especially for long usage sessions, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is indeed better than Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
The next improvement is about cables. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 uses a single-sided coiled cable that terminates to gold-plated mini plug with screw-on 1/4-inch adapter. The long, chunky, and undetachable cable is not exactly suitable for all purposes. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X now uses a detachable cable, for which you have three choices of cables: 3 m straight cable, 1.2 m coiled cable, and 1.2 m straight cable. The input ports available are 3.5 mm and 6.35 mm (1/4-inch).
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Vs M50X
|Audio-Technica ATH-M50||Audio-Technica ATH-M50X|
|Key features||- Exceptional audio quality for professional monitoring and mixing
- Collapsible design ideal for easy portability and convenient storage
- Closed-back cushioned earcup design creates an outstanding seal for maximum isolation
- Adjustable padded headband for comfort during long mixing/recording sessions
- Single-sided coiled cable terminates to gold-plated mini-plug with screw-on 1/4" adapter||- Critically acclaimed sonic performance praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers
- Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with deep, accurate bass response
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- 90° swiveling earcups for easy, one-ear monitoring, professional-grade earpad and headband material delivers more durability and comfort.|
|Customer ratings*||4.7 out of 5.0 stars||4.6 out of 5.0 stars|
|Best deal*||Save 32% Please click here||Save 48% Please click here|
NOTE : Product prices, availability, ratings and save money information are accurate as of the date/time indicated on post time (as seen right bellow the tittle) and are subject to change. Any price, ratings, availability and save money information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
So, regarding performance, they are both equal, and it is just about slightly better comfortability and more versatility between the two products. Do you prefer something that can be easily adjusted for different circumstances? Audio-Technica ATH-M50X should be great. Have no problem with a single cable choice? Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is a cheaper, excellent option.